Alkemics is a SaaS collaboration platform for brands and retailers, helping them to launch products. The company’s mission is to connect every brand to every retailer. Alkemics’ core functionality enables users to effortlessly share product information and marketing content across the whole product lifecycle, from B2B (logistics, pricing etc.) to B2C data (marketing attributes, rich content, regulatory data).
In France alone, an average of 1 million products are launched every year, each with up to 500 attributes and made by one of 20,000+ manufacturers. Prior to Alkemics, this product data and marketing content had to be manually sent on Excel files to each retail channel where the products are sold. Alkemics disrupted that space and automated the process – creating a hard to refuse proposition for the ecosystem. Once a retailer is on-boarded, invites are sent to that retailer’s suppliers to join the platform on a freemium basis. These manufacturers can then be monetised through upselling increased functionality such as ERP connectivity, reportings, etc.
Alkemics was founded in Paris in 2011. With 98 out of the top 100 CPG manufacturers (Nestlé, Unilever, L’Oréal) and the largest retailers (Casino, Auchan, Carrefour, U-Enseigne, Leclerc, Marionnaud…) using the platform, Alkemics now holds a very strong and unchallenged position in the French market. The business is now expanding internationally, starting with the UK and Ireland. Along with international growth, the focus of the business is to leverage its platform and client relationships to build an end-to-end B2B collaboration platform where products are discovered, negotiated, listed and introduced on shelves. Alkemics raised a total of $28M from tier-1 investors Index Ventures, Partech Ventures, Serena Capital and Cathay Innovation. Its latest funding round took place in September 2016 with a view to fuel the company’s rapid expansion. The business is made of 60 employees, working predominantly in technology.
Online marketplaces are now commonplace for C2C and B2C markets. This trend has started in the B2B sectors, driving tremendous value and economies of scale. Today, thanks to a captive user base, Alkemics is in a strong position to “platformize” (i.e. marketplace) the notoriously difficult retail space. Brands are keen to have their products discovered in a more efficient and elegant way. Retailers are interested in negotiating products more quickly. Brands want to better control the product introduction in each store.
- Building the Product Exchange Platform, enabling the collection, normalisation and distribution of smart product data
- Working closely with stakeholders (customers, developers, project managers, BI, Sales, UX/UI) to collect technical and business needs
- Driving the product vision: collaboratively defining the product roadmap, data driven KPIs, and objectives
- Identifying intermediate versions of the product to be able to deliver iteratively
- Defining the product backlog: creating Epics and User Stories, and collaborating with the team on the story’s definition of DONE
- Adjusting and splitting sprint planning stories depending on technical constraints
- Performing UAT, and following up on quality metrics
- Collecting feedback based on analytics and KPIs to continuously improve the product and boost KPIs
- Minimum five years experience in building successful software products.
- A background of product manager in a B2B software company, where you are used to working autonomously with complex sets of clients is a must.
- Demonstrated use of data to solve business problems.
- Understanding the technical architecture of complex and highly scalable solutions.
- Exceptional communication and presentation skills.
- BS/MS in Engineering, Computer Science, Math, Physics, Stats, or equivalent experience.
- Deep Internet business knowledge, especially with collaborative platforms
- Capability of understanding, articulating and prioritizing the business value of tasks
- Ability to work as a Product Owner in Agile mode and embracing the Agile principles
- Fluency in English and French
- Growth Hacking tools knowledge is a big plus!